Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pink and Sparkly

I have an approach when looking through racks of clothes at thrift stores.  Rather than look at whole garments I tend to run my hand along the rack feeling texture while I look at color and pattern.  This sweater jumped out at me right away.  Yes it is a size (or two) too big, and it has that horrible mock turtle neck, BUT the good thing is the wonderful soft texture, the lovely pink color and bonus SPARKLES.  They are kind of like sprinkles on a cupcake eh?






Off with your tag!

So first things first - off with the collar and tag. Check out how cute this tag is by the way, "Wear it with a smile."  I plan to, thanks!









Next I prepped to turn this in to a V neck. (1) I marked the middle of the neck, and how deep I wanted the V to go.   
One

(2) Next I sewed two parallel lines of stitches and cut between them.

Two
(3) Now I could turn the whole raw edge under and pin the cut edges back to create a new neckline.  A nice line of stitches and it was set.

Three


The only think left to do was take this baby in a bit.  I sewed a new seam about two inches in on either side, and cut of the excess.  This brought the sweater down to more my size.  Nice when something is actually too big, kinda makes you feel good about yourself!

The finished product!  I feel so feminine in this sweater, it is lovely.
Check out the sparkly bosom!

I did a little searching online and found this gorgeous Stella McCartney tunic with a similar vibe.  Dare I compare?  Well mine may not be high fashion, but at $3 I'm pretty happy with it.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you transition sweaters into V-necks, they are so flattering! How do you sew the 'V' down after you cut it, do you sew it by hand? I'm trying to figure out how it would be done without the top stitching looking too obvious??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sew it with the machine, however I think if you used a matching thread an did some meticulous little stitches by hand you could hide the seam pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours turned out so nicely. So if you do it by machine, that's the way I'm gonna go too!
    Thanks :-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sewing machine has been sitting on the table for awhile, just waiting to transform something ugly into a v-neck! I would never have thought of sewing the edges of a sweater before I cut it.

    ReplyDelete